Saturday, January 15, 2011

The return of the Take-it-Easel



I am sorry to post late today. I flew in to Boston late last night from Minnesota. You probably got up late anyway. Here is today's post.

I am pleased to announce the resurrection of the Take-it-Easel. This is the Gloucester easel that I have used for years. For you hardened outdoor painters this is a great easel. It doesn't blow down in wind and you can paint enormous canvasses on it. This easel has been unavailable for a few years and I have been asked so many times "where did you get that easel?" Now I have an answer.


"top">The Chicoms are producing a version of this easel that is sold through the major mail order catalogs. I recommend this easel and not those. The commie easel won't work out of the box, it is put together wrong and is not built to last a lifetime like the Take-it-easel. Although it can be worked on, and made serviceable it is never going to be the "Cadillac" that the real thing is. Tobin Nadeau, whose family has been making this easel for years has set up a new workshop in Vermont and begun building them again, using American Maple. That is what you want. He has redesigned the leg mechanism and that seems like it will work well too. This is a workbench built, handmade product, made in the USA with craftsmanship and care. If something breaks or you have a problem with it, they will fix it.

Tobin is going to produce a STAPLETON KEARNS SIGNATURE MODEL! That will be tricked out just like mine. Call him and ask for that. It is an ongoing project and I expect to tell you more about those as they come on line.

I was asked about mediums for outdoor painting in the winter I like to use Liquin but I think the same medium that you prefer for the rest of the year should be fine. I don't use a particular medium for outdoors. The writer who asked me that said they had had a problem with Kamar varnish. I didn't even know that K-Mart made a varnish! I recommend a gloss damar retouch or final varnish. There are lots of new high tech varnishes out there, some that thin with rocket fuel or who knows what. Damar is the old standard and can easily be removed or painted over. It is simple, time tested and reliable. I would however, not spray it onto a cold painting

9 comments:

julie susanne said...

Okey-dokey, hanging on....

Judy P. said...

You were recently in Minnesota- were you visiting that school again? Would you ever consider a workshop in this part of town, but during nice, warm weather?
You the man, Stape!

billspaintingmn said...

I want the Stapelton Kerns signature model!
When in Minnesota, if you can, give a call! I'm only minutes from the airport. You are welcome at my place anytime Stape!

Unknown said...

I bought one of the Beauport easels that Tobin then re-worked. I doubt it will be as good as the SK signature model... does that one come with a box of Cuban cigars and a can of Moxie?

Stapleton Kearns said...

julie:
Here it is, see...........
.........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Judy;
Maybe, lay down with your arms at your sides and I will get back to you.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

bill;
I was there very briefly on family business. Some day perhaps
...........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Deb;
No, but I do.
...............Stape

Tobin Nadeau said...

Hey Stape!

Thanks for your continued support of our revival of the Gloucester Easel! I've just finished several Take-It-Easels, and they're ready to ship. The new cusotm-made brass knobs look absolutely stunning against the North American Rock Maple. The Stapleton Kearns Signature Model currently features the Tobin Hole (http://www.takeiteasel.com/newfeatures/newfeatures.html), and I'm working on the snow shoes! if anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!

Happy Painting to All!

Tobin Nadeau
Builder, Take-It-Easel
tobin@takeiteasel.com
cell: 802-999-7123
www.takeiteasel.com